Meeting the Challenge: Expanding Educational Opportunities for Schools in South Central Virginia
The Jacqueline Jardine Wall School Programs Educator Endowment
In 2011, the Longwood Center for the Visual Arts embarked on a challenge to raise $350,000 towards an endowment to permanently fund a school programs educator position. We are now within $10,000 of this goal.
Our creation of this endowed position was motivated by the needs of the underserved rural region where we are located and the increasing number of requests for assistance that we received from area schools. We believe that access to the transformative power of art should not be curtailed by economic circumstances or geographical limitations. This belief is at the core of our commitment to provide completely free art education to the schoolchildren of South Central Virginia.
The LCVA …
- Is the only museum of its kind and of its size and scope in the 7,000-square-mile area surrounding the LCVA’s home base in Prince Edward County.
- Serves more than 60 public, private, and home schools in 12 South Central Virginia counties including Albemarle, Amelia, Appomattox, Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Goochland, Halifax, Lunenburg, Nottoway, Powhatan, and Prince Edward
- Delivers tours and programs to thousands of school children each year.
- Presents the largest annual youth art exhibition in the Commonwealth and possibly the U.S.
- Brings world art and cultural resources into the classroom to support state-wide Standards of Learning objectives.
"The LCVA’s programs are invaluable. Whether we go to the LCVA, or whether the LCVA comes to the schools, our students receive so much from the programs. In a time of shrinking budgets and a turn away from the arts, it is critical for the LCVA to fill the gaps in our area.
-Laura Dedmond, Art Teacher, Dillwyn Elementary and Gold Hill Elementary (Buckingham County, VA)"
Join us in a special campaign to meet the challenge. Gifts can be given outright or pledged over a four year period.
For more information about our this campaign, please contact:
Rachel Talent Ivers
Longwood Center for the Visual Arts